PhotoMonth Special Event: DOs & DON'Ts of attaining representation - for Photographers
Discover the 3 proven ways to start working with galleries | In partnership with MOO
Date: Oct. 26, 2015, 6:30 p.m. - Oct. 26, 2015, 9 p.m. UK time (see time converter)
Location: MOO | 32-38 Scrutton Street | London EC2A 4RQ
Speakers: Susan Mumford
Price: BSAA Members 7.50 GBP | Visitors 10 GBP | Concessions 8.50 GBP
Are you a photographer who:
- Would like to understand the top 3 ways to attain representation, by a gallerist, art dealer or consultant?
- Doesn't know what should be put in place to make yourself of greater of interest to galleries?
- Finds it frustrating that gallerists and curators don't reply to emails and/or don't attend your exhibitions?
- Is ready to work with a gallery but don't know what to do to make this happen?
- Wants to change gallery or get additional representation?
If you have answered “yes” to any of the above, this talk is for you!
Art world and photography specialist insider Susan Mumford will outline the basics of what to do – and NOT do – to succeed in attaining representation (by an art dealer, gallerist or consultant). The content will also be relevant for artists exploring non-exclusive collaborations with galleries and other arts professionals.
As a result of the talk, you will:
- Find out what you can put into place to be more attractive for representation;
- Get insight into the various parameters of representation, including how you can work with multiple dealers or move on from your existing representative;
- Learn how best to research and select galleries/reps to approach;
- Ascertain what NOT to do (things that are done all the time by artists that have no effect);
- Understand what you SHOULD do (proven to work by professional, successful artists);
- Find out how to make initial contact, follow up and build relationships that are more likely result in representation;
- Know what action to take when a potential rep expresses interest, and why it’s better to start with a group show;
- Discover the fundamentals for entering a mutually beneficial and protected working relationship (including understanding that the decision goes two ways).
Arrivals & open networking: 6.30-7.00pm
Open networking: 8.30-8.55pm
How do you qualify for a 'Concession' ticket?
If you're a current student with an up-to-date Student ID card, are +65 years of age or have a disability.
About the Speaker: Susan Mumford is a game-changer in the 21st Century art world. Known as a ‘Dixie Brit’ based in London and spending increasing time in New York City, she’s the founder of two organisations that provide support to art world professionals: the Association of Women Art Dealers (AWAD) and Be Smart About Art. Her personal mission is to empower and inform individuals who run and manage creative enterprises, profitably marrying your creative & professional practice with integrity.
This event is being hosted by MOO.com, in support of this creative industry event.
Is it possible to get a refund once you have placed your order?
Typically, refunds are not available after you have placed your order. However, we do offer exchanges from time to time, depending on circumstances. We are a very human-run organisation, so please tell us if you have exceptional circumstances; we are happy to help!
See our full Terms & Conditions of Sale.
Be sure to place your order to avoid disappointment. Seats are limited, and events do sell out!