Deborah Henry-Pollard: Business Planning & Creative Entrepreneurship
#besmartaboutart Creative Specialist Deborah Henry-Pollard is a coach, mentor and project manager.
In general terms, what type of support do you provide creative professionals?
I work with people who are serious about making a change in their creative life, however big or small, and want to get into action. This could be through finding ways of working which support their practice or getting them through blocks caused by lack of confidence, negative perception or unhelpful attitudes. I listen intently with no agenda, ask questions and dig deep to find out what people really want. I believe that most people know what they really want to achieve in life, but sometimes it is hidden so deep down even they can’t find it.
I work on the principle that they know their areas best and have all the knowledge they need to do what they want. The issue is often that they might not recognise that in themselves, or they are stuck in some way. I help them to: find clarity through creating a clear vision of what they want to achieve; give an objective space where they can get perspective and help them put things in context; and give them ongoing support to keep them accountable as they take action.
In terms of delivery, some people only need 1 or 2 sessions, to get them unstuck and into action. For other people, they want the ongoing support of regular sessions to keep them on track to deliver on their actions. This is decided by us as we work together.
What are five core areas that you often address (including types of specialism)?
In no particular order:
- Who do I want to be in the world? Supporting you to define your long-term future, to motivate yourself and identify the actions you want to take now to get there.
- How can I be more business-like? Helping you understand that the skills and mindsets that you use to create your artworks can be translated into business terms, so that you can become more businesslike in your practice.
- I have too many ideas - how do I stop them overwhelming me? Helping you to find your way to successfully manage several projects/ideas alongside each other.
- What is stopping me? When you know what you want to do, and it isn’t happening, helping you identify and overcome blocks both external and internal (confidence, self-perception, imposter syndrome, etc).
- I’ve got a great idea; do I want to embark on it/will it work? Giving you an objective, non-judgemental space where you can talk through your idea and decide for yourself if you want to follow it through.
“Deborah has offered invaluable support and advice as a mentor and coach for The Wing Assignment. … I would not hesitate to recommend Deborah to any creative with a head full of ideas that need carefully and calmly extracting!” Nina Farrell, The Wing Assignment
Deborah Henry-Pollard offers to coach creative entrepreneurs (including artists, gallerists, managers and others) with the #besmartaboutart Creative Specialist Programme.
Investment for a 1-hour coaching session:
Non-Members 125 GBP | 185 USD
BSAA Members 100 GBP | 150 USD
BOOK AN EXPLORATORY 20-MINUTE SESSION WITH DEBORAH NOW:
ARRANGE A 20MIN SESSION WITH DEBORAH
NEED MORE INSIGHT? SPEAK WITH MARIA (Programme Director, Creative Biz Specialists)
Read a case study of an artist and designer who worked with Deborah.
In this 11-minute video, Deborah gives insight how to define your vision: