Social Media for the Art World: A participatory workshop spotlighting Instagram, Facebook, Twitter ... with LinkedIn highlights
London event for Art World Professionals
Date: Jan. 23, 2019, 2:30 p.m. - Jan. 23, 2019, 5:30 p.m. UK time (see time converter)
Location: Cass Art Islington | 66-67 Colebrook Row | London N1 8AB
Speakers: Susan J Mumford
This event is for artists & art dealers who describe themselves as anything but a ‘social media pro’.
From beginners to those who post every day, you might wonder if social media is worth the time and effort. Moreover, with so much choice and frequent updates to platforms, where should you focus your efforts and what new features should you adopt?
During this session, essential social media strategy that applies across key platforms will be outlined, accompanied by recent developments (think: IGTV and story highlights) and case studies of industry profiles across platforms.
Participants will leave this professional development session with a refreshed and updated understanding for using social media today.
- While many industry professionals are using Instagram, what are the real, tangible benefits?
- What are those who are benefitting from Instagram doing to make it work?
- What content should go into the Instagram Feed vs. Insta Stories? And does the latter even need to be used?
- How are highlights created, and what are some good examples of using this feature?
- What on earth is IGTV (launched summer 2018)?! Does it even apply to art world enterprises?
- What can you do to attain followers and get noticed?
- With decreasing visibility of Professional Pages, should art businesses have a Professional Page or not? What are the pros & cons of personal vs professional pages – and the careful balance that you need to strike?
- What activities are still KEY for photographers (regardless of having a professional page)?
- Is it worth paying for advertising?
- How can you effectively promote shows and events to get real results?
- How is Twitter still applicable for the art world?
- What categories of professionals are using Twitter who you want to get in front of?
- How do you use 'Lists' to actively engage with people, raise your profile and keep up to date with targeted people and businesses? (Top tip: Lists are a game changer!)
- How can you effectively engage with others and increase 'followers'?
- What are some ideas for ongoing Twitter campaigns to keep your profile active?
- How and why do artists and dealers alike use LinkedIn?
- What are the essential components and tips for building an effective profile?
- How can you engage connections without investing much time?
Bringing it all together
During the workshop, we’ll address how to save time and increase your presence across platforms, to be effective without taking attention away from other activities.
About the trainer: Susan J Mumford is a game-changer in the 21st Century art world. She’s an entrepreneur, equality advocate, mentor, speaker / moderator, author and art business specialist. While running a gallery in Soho, London, she founded the Association of Women Art Dealers (AWAD), an international non-profit trade network with multiple chapters. Several years later, she started Be Smart About Art, a professional development and membership organisation that helps art world professionals thrive in a changing industry. In late 2015, her first book was published: Art is your life. Make it your living. Based in glorious Lewes, East Sussex, she can frequently be seen at fairs in the UK, North America and Continental Europe.
Keep up to date with Susan online @susanjmumford