Be Smart About Art is here to help you thrive in a changing art world.
Our program offers:
Online courses (long & short), Membership, Mentoring / Coaching / 1-2-1 Support, Talks & Panel Discussions, Workshops, Outreach Training (delivering workshops and talks at other organizations and institutions) and Networking Events.
"In 'Be Smart About Art', Susan has created a much needed organisation, filling what would appear to be a huge gap in the art world.
Through networking events, workshops, boot camps and talks it gives artists (of every type), agents, gallerists and curators a chance to meet and mingle with each other, bringing huge benefits to all sides of the industry. And the beauty of it is that 'Be Smart About Art' can work for you, no matter what you do or what stage of your career you are at."
- Toby Deveson, Photographer @toby_deveson_photography
"I found my sessions with Susan informative, inspiring, productive, and she gave me the confidence to continue my dream of running my own photography gallery with clear objectives and insight."
- Rachel Hotchkiss, Founder of The Artful Project @WeAreArtful
#artbizbootcamp (launching 28th January 2019 - registrations will be closed as of 'end of play' on Sunday 27th January)
Following running a series of courses for artists and others for art dealers, in 2019 we're virtually getting everyone in a room together, with the #ArtBizBootcamp.
This is a 100% online 10-month course that enables you to actively engage as well as quietly participate without being seen - whichever you fancy.
Register your interest by emailing email@example.com.
Short Online Courses
Want to focus on a specific area of development, such as Pricing Art or Getting a Gallery to Love You?
Check out the BSAA Selz Shop to browse and download available workshops.
Would you like to move to the next level in your career?
Would you like to access supportive materials for your art practice, from anywhere in the world?
By becoming a Member, you join a group of peers with a common goal: to move forward in your art profession. Members include artists, dealers, curators and commercial art world professionals – with experience levels ranging from emerging to established. In this changing world, everyone has a lot to learn!
- LIVE Member Masterclass - a Weekly Webinar (with replays of previous sessions available to watch);
- Members' Gateway - an online platform for BSAA Members that gives access to Member Masterclass replays, Recordings of #besmartcassart talks, contracts and templates for your enterprise; databases of opportunities and more;
- Discounts on the BSAA Program (Mentoring, Empowering you Digitally, Talks, Panel Discussions and Workshops)
An additional perk for Members based in/near BSAA Member Hubs* is free attendance to networking events.
* The London Hub was established in October 2012. The Sussex Hub is launching 27th February 2019, which is set to be followed by Hubs in New York City / Jersey City and Bedfordshire / Hertfordshire.
Your investment for membership: £135 per year or £9.95 per month.
>> Sign up by 31st December 2018 to secure the original subscription amount, which will change to £14.95 / $14 pcm as of 1st January 2019.)
Find out more & join our professional community.
MENTORING, COACHING & 1-2-1 SUPPORT
Do you know what you want to achieve, yet aren't sure how to do it?
Whether you're just starting out, mid-career or established, having a 'learning mindset' is key to continuing to thrive in today's landscape.
Get support that is tailored to your own needs, challenges and aims.
An array of areas are covered, including (amongst many other areas):
- Creating your business plan (using the Business Model Canvas);
- Clarifying your 'brand' and value, to help you attract ideal clients and partners as well as make it easy to communicate online;
- Developing new partnerships (such as gallerists, artists, interior designers and others);
- Pricing art and services (ex: commissions);
- Getting motivation and addressing internal doubts;
- Maintaiing the creative thread when coping with life and professional demands;
... and much more!
1-2-1 sessions can be held face to face, on the phone and online. Advisors are currently located in the following areas:
- London, Lewes and Leamington Spa (England)
- Paris (France)
- New York (USA)
View Advisor profiles and submit an Expression of Interest Form.
Our program of talks offers insights into the art world by industry experts. Recent topics have included getting media coverage in an online world, the importance of risk in creativity and what's stopping you from succeeding.
The monthly #BeSmartCassArt event welcomes specialist guest speakers and takes place at Cass Art Islington, near Angel tube station in London.
>> Not in London? Not to worry! Audio recordings are made available in the Members' Gateway. <<
"Wonderfully open, honest & informative. A must for emerging artists to learn the importance of being in the 'big picture'" - Annamarie Dzendrowskyj (Dos and Don'ts for Artists Attaining Gallery Representation and Collaborations)
"Valuable information. Why didn't they teach these things in art school?" - Rich Hammond (Monthly Talk - Secrets for a Successful Artist-Gallerist Relationship)
Professional development workshops (online + in-person):
This program has been designed to address the needs of artists, gallerists and commercial art world professionals. Areas covered include profiting from participating in art shows, social media, starting artist-gallery collaborations, pricing art – and more.
OUTREACH PROGRAM (external organizations)
Founder Susan J Mumford and other BSAA trainers regularly collaborate with external organizations and groups to deliver professional practice workshops, lectures, keynotes, mentoring sessions, panel discussions and more.
Is your arts organization keen to bring our expertise to your programme? Contact us to let us know your interests.
A selection of companies with whom we've worked: